As a beauty therapist and makeup artist, one of the most common questions I am asked is how to make lipstick stay on longer.
For best results, I suggest the following:
- Exfoliate your Lips – If you’ve had a facial with me, you will know that I apply a sugar scrub to exfoliate your lips. This is something you can also do at home, before applying makeup, to help your lipstick to stay on longer.
- Prime your Lips with Foundation – When you are applying foundation and/or powder, make sure you do your lips as well as the rest of your face.
- Take your Time – Allow time between each step of applying your makeup, so it can settle. You might like to put on some perfume, or brush your hair, between each step of applying your lipstick, for a longer lasting effect.
- Use a Lipliner – Particularly as we grow older, lipliner not only outlines our lips, it also stops our lipstick bleeding. Choose one that is the same colour as, or only slightly darker, than your lipstick – after outlining, use it to colour in your lips.
- Choose your Lipstick Carefully – Matte lipsticks are generally the most long wearing – however for a gloss finish, have you tried the Jane Iredale Lip Fixation? Fabulously long lasting – first apply the lip stain, and then finish with the lip gloss. One client went to an awards night and was thrilled at how her lipstick lasted through drinks and dinner, and still looked shiny near the end of the night!
- Apply your Lipstick – Remember that it’s better to do a couple of thinner layers, than one thick one. Blot with tissue paper, and apply translucent powder over the top. Repeat.
- Set your Makeup – I like to use a Jane Iredale hydration spray for the finishing touch.
And now for a free bonus tip for clients of my Redlands beauty salon: apply a little highlighter to the skin just above your cupid’s bow – it may not make your lipstick stay on longer, but it will add real definition and wow factor!
If you would like more makeup tips, need the help of a makeup artist to create the perfect look for your next important occasion, or want to try any of the products mentioned here, contact me on 0404 845 133 or complete the contact form.