It’s almost August, and if you’ve lived in the Redlands for any length of time you will know what that means: the westerly winds are on their way!
Windburn can look and feel a lot like sunburn, leaving your skin red and sore.
The most common areas affected tend to be the face and lips, as they are more exposed to the elements. Combine cold, sun, wind and the dry heating indoors, and it’s no wonder so many of us end up with scaly, dry skin, which can be itchy and even painful.
Taking the Sting out of Winter Skin
Here are some tips to help you avoid windburn, and dry chapped skin, this winter:
- Avoid long hot baths and showers.
- Use a mild soap, or a soap free alternative.
- After bathing, pat yourself dry with your towel, rather than rubbing.
- Apply moisturiser immediately after showering.
- Wear lip balm (like Jane Iredale’s LipDrink pictured below).
- Keep your skin covered – which you’re probably doing anyway because it’s COLD! Scarves, mufflers, gloves and beanies are more than just fashion accessories – they can help with preventing windburn in winter.
- Always wear sunscreen on exposed skin, before going outdoors.
- One of Jaibe Beauty’s body treatments can also help moisturise and prep your skin for winter.
While we all love a bit of colour in our cheeks (as per last month’s tip on blushing beauty), a hectic red flush from windburn is never a good look.
For all your winter skin care needs, call or SMS 0404 845 133 or fill out the contact form to book an appointment at Redlands beauty salon, Jaibe Beauty.